Auckland Park Methodist Church, Shildon Circuit

First World War Memorials

By Alan Bailey

Photo:Auckland Park Memorial Plaque

Auckland Park Memorial Plaque

Alan Bailey


Our Church is on the northern side of Bishop Auckland, in the former mining village of Auckland Park. The present building was erected in 1893, and replaced an earlier "tin chapel".
We have a marble "scroll" plaque, set on a black shield base. This bears 11 names of men of church families/church adherents who lost their lives during the First World War.
The church organ, a Nelson instrument, is itself a War Memorial. It bears a wooden plaque above the manuals.
The neighbouring church at Coundon is now closed and demolished. Its war memorial  of 5 names was rescued and installed at Auckland Park, underneath the AP plaque.

Names on Auckland Park Plaque:

Joseph Wm. Dinsley
Walter Staley
Joseph Scorer
Ernest Clark
John Brown
John Brown
John Welford
James Welford
Joseph Winter
Joseph Tomlinson
William Maggs

Names on Coundon Memorial:

Photo:Coundon Memorial Plaque

Coundon Memorial Plaque

Alan Bailey

Arthur E. Wallhead
Robert Elgie
James D. Cowey
Herbert Reed
Thomas Scott

Photo:Auckland Park's Nelson Organ

Auckland Park's Nelson Organ

Alan Bailey

Photo:Plaque on Auckland Park Organ

Plaque on Auckland Park Organ

Alan Bailey

Photo:Auckland Park and Coundon Memorials mounted together

Auckland Park and Coundon Memorials mounted together

Alan Bailey





This page was added by Alan Bailey on 08/01/2014.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.