Stenalees Methodist Church, St Austell Circuit, Cornwall

War memorials

By John Keast

Photo:click to enlarge

click to enlarge

Stenalees is a clay country village to the north of St Austell, though the clay industry now employs relatively few people. There was a large chapel in the village but in the 1970s it was demolished and a new road (called Wesley Close) with a new smaller and modern chapel built in its place. The war memorials from the previous chapel have been built into the retaining wall beside the new chapel and can be visited without going inside the building.

Photo:click to enlarge

click to enlarge

 

The First World War memorial reads

THE GREAT WAR 1914-1918

IN MEMORY OF THE FALLEN WHO ATTENDED THIS CHURCH

FRED JONAS      

WILLIAM WHELL

RICHARD WHELL

THOMAS RICHARDS

FRANK OSBORNE

WILLIAM F MARTYN

WILLIAM BORLASE

WILFRID RICKARD

WILLIAM PASCOE

CLAUD PASCOE

PHILIP HORE

JAMES HOSKEN

SAMUEL KEVETH

WILLIAM O POAD

JAMES H HILL

Photo:click to enlarge

click to enlarge

 

The Second World War memorial reads

THE SECOND WORLD WAR

1939-1945

IN MEMORY OF THE FALLEN CONNECTED WITH THIS SUNDAY SCHOOL

ALBERT BREWER       ARTHUR BREWER

HENRY GROSE          WILLIAM HANCOCK

DOUGLAS MARTYN    HUBERT THOMAS

ROSS ODGERS     DOUGLAS TOMS    LEO RICE

 

This page was added by John Keast on 26/11/2013.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.