Trinity Methodist Church, Blaydon, County Durham

Photo:Tyne Street Chapel

Tyne Street Chapel

Winlaton History Society

Photo:Tyne Street, Blaydon. Chapel shown middle right

Tyne Street, Blaydon. Chapel shown middle right

Winlaton History Society

Photo:Trinity Methodist Church, Lucy Street, Bladon

Trinity Methodist Church, Lucy Street, Bladon

Susan Lynn

By Susan Lynn

This was formerly a United Methodist society, and before 1907 the United Methodist Free Church. The society worshipped at a church in Tyne Street which had been built in 1860.  In time this building became too small and a new church was built, completed in 1899, at the junction of Shibdon Road and Lucy Street, the old premises closed the same year. In 1944 meetings of the three Methodist churches in Blaydon (Lucy St., Albert St.( Primitive Methodist) and St. John’s) took place and it was decided that they should amalgamate. The premises in Lucy St. were retained for worshipped, to be known as Trinity Methodist Church, while Albert St. was to be sold and St. John’s retained as a Sunday School and for social purposes.

The church was initially part of Newcastle upon Tyne’s Gloucester Road, United Methodist Circuit and following re-organisation of the Gateshead Methodist Circuits in 1935 it became part of the new Gateshead West Methodist Circuit and then from 1961 part of Blaydon Methodist Circuit. In 1995 Blaydon Methodist Circuit amalgamated with Gateshead South West Methodist Circuit and the society joined the resulting South West Tyneside Methodist Circuit.

Church records 1863-1981 are kept at Tyne & Wear Archives.

Ref: Tyne & Wear Archives, Newcastle upon Tyne

This page was added by Pamela Atkins on 11/04/2017.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.