TALBOT, Theophilus

Obituary Manx Quarterly 1908

The Rev Theophilus Talbot, of Osborne-terrace, Douglas, died at his residence on Thursday, March 12th.

He had for a long time been in failing health, and for a fortnight before death was confined to his bed. Mr Talbot was an octogenarian, but to the end he was vigorous in mind, and up to a few months ago was active in body.

Formerly a Wesleyan Methodist minister, Mr Talbot nearly forty years ago severed his connection with that church and entered the Church of England.

On the 21st December, 1869, he was ordained deacon by the late Bishop Powys, and on the 30th Nov., 1871, he was priested at Bishop's Court Chapel.

Upon ordination as deacon he was appointed curate of German, and on the 13th July, 1874, he was preferred to the chaplaincy of St. Olave's, Ramsey. He did not, however, hold the living for long, as he retired with a view to devoting himself to literary and antiquarian research, and came to reside in Douglas.

He was probably the highest authority on questions of Manx history and archaeology, and he was frequently occupied in exposing errors made by writers upon these subjects.

Indeed it must be admitted that Mr Talbot ruthlessly destroyed some of the most cherished Manx traditions — in his zeal for historical accuracy he was a perfect iconoclast. A man of scholarly attainments and wide reading, he was a living example of his favourite definition of a man of culture — he knew something about everything and everything about something.

His views upon religion were exceedingly broad, and he was a hearty hater of shams of all descriptions.

Mr Talbot was married to a daughter of the late Mr George Crebbin, merchant, Duke-street, Douglas, and it may be mentioned that Mrs Talbot was grand-daughter to the late Rev Charles Crebbin, first incumbent of St. George's, Douglas.

She predeceased her husband, leaving one daughter, who survives her parents. Mr Talbot was a large shareholder in the Douglas Gaslight Company and the Isle of Man Steam Packet Company.

He was the possessor of a large and valuable library, and it is highly probable that this will in due course be handed over to the town of Douglas.

This page was added by Chris Hancock on 29/12/2015.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.