South Wigston Methodist Church, Leicestershire

A brief history

By Mary Bryceland

Photo: Illustrative image for the 'South Wigston Methodist Church, Leicestershire' page

South Wigston Methodist Church, Blaby Road ~ key dates

June 1884  Wesleyan Mission commences in Orson Wright’s factory

23 September 1886  Stone laying of the original Chapel (now the schoolroom)

16 December 1886 Chapel opens

1888 Wesleyan Church cricket club formed

10 July 1902 Enlarged Church opened

24 January 1906 Organ inaugurated

1911 Methodist Guild formed

1920 First resident minister Rev. W J Kinchington appointed

1928 Electric lighting installed

1932  The (National) Deed of Union leads to the merger of the Church with the Primitive Methodist Church, Countesthorpe Road, to become The Methodist Church

1951 Blaby Road Methodist drama group formed ~ still running as SWM Theatre Company

1963 2nd Wigston Company of the Girls’ Guild formed ~ now the Girls’ Brigade

October 1967 First united service with Countesthorpe Road Methodist Church

(Countesthorpe Road closed and joined with Blaby Road in the newly redesigned building)

1971 Completion of major internal restructuring. Service of Dedication held on 24th April. The worship area was moved upstairs with a meeting room below.

Photo:Church Meal in the upstairs worship area c. 1971

Church Meal in the upstairs worship area c. 1971

1977 25th (Leicester) Company of the Boys’ Brigade formed.

Photo: Illustrative image for the 'South Wigston Methodist Church, Leicestershire' page

This page was added by Mary Bryceland on 28/05/2014.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.