Moor Row, Scalegill Road UM Chapel, Cumberland

Grid ref NY004143

By GW Oxley

The chapel was built of stone in 1875 and the school in 1897. The original building and improvements up to 1923, when it had 120 sittings in the chapel and space for 150 in the  school, had cost £1200 . In 1940 it had 212 sittings on pews. There was a schoolroom and one other room. It was closed on 5 June 1961 after merging with School Street 500 yards away. By 1969-70 the chapel had been demolished but the site remained on the market.


Cumbria Archive Service, Carlisle DFCM14/13

Cumbria Archives Service, Kendal  WDFCM7 Synod Minutes  1937-1974

Carlisle Library, 1A287, Methodist Property Statistics 1940

Cumbria Archive Service, Whitehaven DFCM2/431

NLS 25” OS Cumberland LXVII.15 1899  

This page was added by GW Oxley on 11/10/2017.