Longtown, Albert Street Wesleyan Methodist Association Chapel, Cumberland

Grid ref NY381685

By GW Oxley

Longtown Chapel was built of brick in 1865-6. The Chapel had 200 sittings in 1924. The chapel was 40 feet by 30 feet and in 1941 it had 200 sittings in pews and on forms. There was also a school, 24 feet square and 2 vestries. There were also four houses each containing four rooms, one of which was occupied by the caretaker. By 1980 and 1991 the sittings had been increased to 250 and there were two other rooms. The chapel remains in use as a Methodist place of worship.

            Longtown Chapel was built of red brick with white brick facings and bandings in a classical style . Among smaller chapels it is unusual in both respects. Netherhouse (WM 1833) and Skelton (PM 1865) are similar in style but both were built with the local stone. The nearest contemporary parallel is probably Alston (WM 1867) which is classical in style and was built of pale yellow stone was with red sandstone facings. Temple Sowerby (WM 1872) has white bricks and red sandstone facings but is in the gothic style. Whatever the thinking behind this preference for contrast the main effect was to make the buildings stand out among their stone built or rendered neighbours

Sources

Cumbria Archive Service, Carlisle DFCM1/3/9 UM Special returns re seating

Carlisle Library, 1A287, Methodist property statistics 1940, 1980, 1991

Cumbria Archive Service, Carlisle DFCM1/8/3

Site visit 12.3.2016

Photo:Longtown Free Methodist Chapel, facade, 12.03.2016

Longtown Free Methodist Chapel, facade, 12.03.2016

G W Oxley

Photo:Longtown Free Methodist Chapel, side view, 12.03.2016

Longtown Free Methodist Chapel, side view, 12.03.2016

G W Oxley

Photo:Longtown Free Methodist Chapel, date plaque, 12.03.2016

Longtown Free Methodist Chapel, date plaque, 12.03.2016

G W Oxley

This page was added by GW Oxley on 15/03/2016.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.