Kettering, School Lane, Central Methodist Chapel

Grid ref SP 869788

By GW Oxley

Kettering, School Lane Central Methodist Chapel was built of brick in 1933, it had seating for 500 in pews in 1940. There were three schoolrooms and 14 other rooms. It remains in use as a Methodist place of worship.

This building resembles a school, telephone exchange, or other public building of the period rather than a place of worship. It may be contrasted with the conventional gothic of Cockermouth, Lorton Street (1932) or the contemporary take on Romanesque at Carlisle Currock Road (1936).

Sources

Methodist Chapel returns, 1940, p162

Site visit 31.3.2018

Photo:Ketterin,g School Lane, Methodist Chapel, genral view, 31.03.2018

Ketterin,g School Lane, Methodist Chapel, genral view, 31.03.2018

G W Oxley

Photo:Ketterin,g School Lane, Methodist Chapel, date plaque, 31.03.2018

Ketterin,g School Lane, Methodist Chapel, date plaque, 31.03.2018

G W Oxley

This page was added by GW Oxley on 17/04/2018.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.