Haverigg, St John's Bankfield Road Bible Christian Chapel, Cumberland

Grid ref SD 161787

By GW Oxley

Haverigg, St John’s Bankfield Road Chapel was erected in 1881. In 1940 the chapel had 250 sittings on pews and there was a schoolroom and no other rooms. Weather proofing works and a new heating system were completed at a cost of £447 in 1965-6. By 1980 the number of sittings had fallen to164. It was being used as a Methodist place of worship in 1991 but it was later closed and the building demolished.


Carlisle Library, 1A287, Methodist Property Statistics 1940, 1980, 1991

Cumbria Archives Service, Kendal WDFCM7 Synod Minutes  1937-1974 [NB inconsistencies in the description and reporting of works may mean that some projects are entered twice]

Site visit, 23.7.2016

This page was added by GW Oxley on 29/03/2018.