Egremont Castle Street UMFC Chapel, Cumberland

Grid ref NY009105

By GW Oxley

The Castle Street chapel was designed by a Mr Moffat of Workington. His scheme consisted of a chapel to seat 250, a schoolroom to seat 200, and a caretaker’s house. The stone laying was held on 5th April 1892 and the chapel was opened on 4 April 1893.the land cost £216, Moffat was paid £100, the main contractor was Lister and McCartney of Cockermouth and Workington who received payments of £1430 and the joinery was provided by James Fletcher of Working ton who was paid ££350.The original building and improvements up to 1923 when the chapel had 155 sittings had cost £2500. In 1940 it had 200 sittings in pews and there was a schoolroom and one other room. The chapel was closed on 15 November 1963 after a merger with the former Wesleyan chapel and the premises were sold in 1964. The caretaker’s house was later demolished and the site is now used as a carpark. The property is occupied by the Egremont Masonic Club.

This building is most unusual among Methodist buildings in Cumbria in that it is set in a large grassed enclosure rather than hard against the roadway and enclosed by neighbouring buildings

Sources

Cumbria Archive Service, Carlisle DFCM14/13;

Cumbria Archives Service, Kendal WDFCM7 Synod Minutes 1937-1974

Carlisle Library, 1A287, Methodist Property Statistics 1940, 1980;

Cumbria Archive Service, Whitehaven DFCM2/431

Cumbria Archive Service, Whitehaven YDFCM7/4/1/1 trustees’ minutes

Cumbria Archive Service, Whitehaven YDFCM7/4/2/2 trustees’ accounts

Site visit 6.10/2017

Photo:Egremont UMFC,oblique view of facade, 6.10.2017

Egremont UMFC,oblique view of facade, 6.10.2017

G W Oxley

Photo:Egremont UMFC, west side, 6.10.2017.

Egremont UMFC, west side, 6.10.2017.

G W Oxley

Photo:Egremont UMFC, east side, 6.10.2017

Egremont UMFC, east side, 6.10.2017

G W Oxley

Photo:Egremont UMFC, detail of gayeposts and decorative ironwork, 6.10.2017

Egremont UMFC, detail of gayeposts and decorative ironwork, 6.10.2017

G W Oxley

Photo:Egremont UMFC, side of the school and carpark, 6.10.2017

Egremont UMFC, side of the school and carpark, 6.10.2017

G W Oxley

Photo:Egremont UMFC, notice board, 6.10.2017

Egremont UMFC, notice board, 6.10.2017

G W Oxley

This page was added by GW Oxley on 11/10/2017.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.