Cumwhinton Free Methodist Chapels, Cumberland

Grid ref NY448526

By GW Oxley

The first Cumwhinton Chapel was built of stone before 1851 when it was said to have 110 free sittings. It can be seen in the photographs behind the new chapel, distinguished by a different roof line, plain rectangular windows and rough masonry. The entrance was on the long side.

The premises were extended by the construction of a new chapel in front of the old one in 1904. It is built of ashlared stone with long and short quoins and slate roof. The windows are lancets with hood mouldings. The building is entered through a porch in the gable facing the road. The ridge of the main roof and the porch terminate in mini steeples. The extensions were designed by Isaac Longrigg of Lazonby and the contractor was probably Thomas Beatty of Cumwhinton. The new chapel was 35 feet by 21 feet and had the old chapel, now the schoolroom was 24 feet by 21 feet. In 1924 there were 250 sittings and in 1940 120, all in pews.  The chapel was closed on 12 November 1965 through failure of the cause. Most of the members lived closer to other churches. It is difficult to determine the present user, perhaps residential.

Sources

Cumbria Archive Service, Carlisle DFCM1/3/9 UM Special returns re seating

Carlisle Library, 1A287, Methodist property statistics 1940

The National Archives HO129/568/1/11 1851 census of religious worship

Cumbria Archive Service, Carlisle DFCM1/8/3 Notes relating to the 1940 accommodation returns

Cumbria Archive Service, Carlisle DFCM14/13 chapel record cards

Cumbria Archive Service, Carlisle DFCM1/3/9 UM Special returns re seating

Cumbria Archive Service, Carlisle SRDBB3/10/1904 building bye law plans

Carlisle Library, 1A287, Methodist property statistics 1940, 1980, 1991

Site visit 10th February 2016

 

Photo:Cumwhinton Free Methodist Chapel, facade,   10.2.2016

Cumwhinton Free Methodist Chapel, facade, 10.2.2016

G W Oxley

Photo:Cumwhinton Free Methodist Chapel from northwest, 10.2.2016

Cumwhinton Free Methodist Chapel from northwest, 10.2.2016

G W Oxley

Photo:Cumwhinton Free Methodist Chapel from northeast, 10.2.2016

Cumwhinton Free Methodist Chapel from northeast, 10.2.2016

G W Oxley

Photo:Cumwhinton Free Methodist Chapel date plaque, 10.2.2016

Cumwhinton Free Methodist Chapel date plaque, 10.2.2016

G W Oxley

This page was added by GW Oxley on 15/02/2016.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.