Cotehill UM and Methodist Chapels, Cumberland

By GW Oxley

Cotehill UM, Chapel, Cumberland

Grid ref NY467504

Cotehill Chapel had 80 sittings in 1924. A road widening scheme developed in the 1930s required the demolition of the chapel which was closed when the new chapel opened in 1937.

Sources

Cumbria Archive Service, Carlisle DFCM1/3/9 UM Special returns re seating

 

Cotehill Methodist Chapel, Cumberland

Grid ref NY468505

Cotehill Chapel was built of brick in 1937 to replace the old UMFC chapel whose site was required for road widening. It was designed by J S Stout of Whitehaven.
The building consisted of a chapel 30 feet by 18 feet entered through a porch projecting from the gable end facing the road. The rostrum was opposite the entrance and behind it was a classroom and another room. The contractor was R Bell and his bill came to £595.0.3. The site cost £63.15.0 and the furnishings £44.17.6. The building is basic and utilitarian and was probably deigned to cost as little as possible more than the compensation received for the loss of the old chapel.
In 1941 it had 90 sittings in pews. There was also a schoolroom 18 feet by 12 feet. By 1980 the sittings had been reduced to 65. It is still in use as a Methodist place of worship.

Sources

Cumbria Archive Service, Carlisle DFCM1/8/3 Notes relating to the 1940 accommodation returns

Cumbria Archive Service, Carlisle  DFCM1/3/27 plans for the new chapel

Cumbria Archive Service, Carlisle  DFCM1/3/29 accounts for the  new chapel

Carlisle Library, 1A287, Methodist property statistics 1940, 1980, 1991

Site visit 10th February 2016

Photo:Cotehill Methodist Chapel facadet, 10.2.2016

Cotehill Methodist Chapel facadet, 10.2.2016

G W Oxley

Photo:Cotehill Methodist Methodist Chapel from south, 10.2.2016

Cotehill Methodist Methodist Chapel from south, 10.2.2016

G W Oxley

This page was added by GW Oxley on 15/02/2016.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.